In the TEDx talk, Deepika Bhardwaj talks about how false cases of dowry, rape, and domestic violence have destroyed men and their families. Even minors have not been spared. It has also affected women, as mothers, sisters, and daughters of the falsely accused have suffered. Many female relatives have also been imprisoned. I wonder where feminism is for these women.
- Between 1998 and 2015 more than 2.7 million people have been arrested under 498A alone, higher than any other crime under IPC except theft, hurt and riots.
- 650,000 women who were arrested were sisters, mothers and relatives of the man many of whom had never stayed with the couple sharing a domestic relationship.
- Most of these people were arrested on mere allegations without investigations.
- 7,700 minors were also arrested in 498A cases.
- Convictions rate under 498A dropped down to 13.7% in 2014, making it one amongst few sections under IPC that have a poor conviction record.
- Several families have been destroyed because of incarceration due to a false case or running around courts for years and years.
- Most people choose to quietly give in to legal extortion under these cases to escape decades of trial and harassment for no fault of theirs. (Source: A Times)